Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Bets

I haven’t shaved since Oct 26, opening night of the Suns season.  I bet a friend from Portland--let's call him 'AM'--that PHX would beat PDX.  Whoever’s team lost had to stop shaving til the next PHX/PDX game.  Unfortunately, PHX lost.  I told AM I'd send him a photo once the bet ended.  I hope he frames it and puts it up somewhere in his apartment.  For a while now I've thought it'd be pretty hilarious to hang a series of photos along these lines in one's apartment, like animal heads on display.  I just wish I was the one receiving the photo, not AM.  Anyway, PDX and PHX finally played again last night.  Here's what AM got:


I have no idea why I bet on PDX/PHX games.  It's not that I think PDX is better, though in this case I think I can say I didn't expect PHX to win given that it was the first real game since the summer overhaul and no one can reasonably expect all the new parts to fit together right away.  Rather, it's because watching these is already stressful enough for me.  I lived in Portland for about five years, and almost all my friends there are PDX fans.  When they win, I get a lot shit.  Mostly it's in the form of texts, and it can last for days.  Admittedly, it's not entirely undeserved.  I tend to be pretty obnoxious when PHX wins.  Actually, I'm probably (read: definitely) more obnoxious.  During last year's playoffs, it was outrageous.  I think I talked enough shit to warrant three more years of their abuse.  Still, it's so far from enjoyable watching these games, and the thought of not only having to watch the Suns lose, which usually is enough to ruin my night, but having to put up with a whole suite of friends rubbing it in...well, that makes me real stressed out.  Add to that the fact that if PHX loses, I'll have to go a month without shaving, or I'll owe someone $20 (a bet I made right before last night's game), or I'll have to use a picture of Robert Horry as my FB profile photo for the next three days (another bet I made before last night's game), or I'll have to buy someone a pitcher next time I'm in town (that's right, yet another bet), and you might begin to understand why I was so fucking irate last night when PHX lost.  Well, looks like I'll be going double or nothing for Friday.

MB

2 comments:

  1. Yeah double or nothing. Ratchet it up. Get in deep, Owning Mahony-style!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the end of the season you'll have completely unraveled and be wandering the streets with a
    Billy Gibbons beard and a dirty Tom Chambers jersey mumbling about '93.

    ReplyDelete